Monday 22 February 2010

First time for everything

I managed to get myself banned from SoD for 5 years.

Brief backstory: DoubleFinish is uncensored darts discussion and is an over 18's only site. This is going to result in strong language, sexual innuendo and alot of banter. None of which is any worse than anything you will find in your local pub and that's the general feeling/aim of the site. We heavily criticise and praise lavishly when appropriate and we speak our minds. Certain things off limits but its general common sense stuff (racial, homophobic)

Some however (including the owner of SoD) have taken great offence to the style of DoubleFinish and has banned pretty much anyone who is a member of DF. Despite him saying he doesn't consider DF a threat, decided to write a pretty vitriolic blog on it. Below is my response to it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The below is my own opinion. I am not representing anyone other than me

I am a member of both here (obviously or I wouldn't be responding) and Double Finish (which will probably get me banned from here by your own admission even though I haven't broken any rules) and a host of other darting sites. If I recall correctly, you (Andy F) fired the first shots with posts about Double Finish long before some of the members even knew your site existed (digusting and disgraceful I believe were some of the words you used) yet act all surprised and defensive when some retaliated. I don't agree with some of stuff said about you however I'm not happy about some of the stuff you've said about the forum either.

I post more frequently on Double Finish mostly because I found their site before others and I do enjoy the more liberal approach (plus I just don't have time to post on all forums as much as I'd like to so I usually just pick 1) Double Finish do allow alot more than your site, pros and cons to both approaches but be careful about putting yourself on a pedastool especially when you launch the kind of insults at people you are condemning them for using (homophobic and racist). Considering you don't view the forum as a threat its odd you would dedicate nearly an entire blog to it and you seem to be the only forum owner who has.

Whilst the site is more liberal, there are limits and people are banned if they continue to overstep the mark and have been banned, that includes homophobic and racist comments. If people go too far, they are shot down by the other members. I don't always agree with the comments and say so. There are alot of passionate fans on the site (not going to get into your claims about the figures, I don't have the full story) there are alot of passionate fans on every site. The site was set up because some were fed up with the nazi-style (am I allowed to use that phrase here?) censorship on 606 as was I.

I've had some "abuse" (if it can be called that) from many people on there. I either just give it back or laugh it off. The banter between the members is vitriolic and does take a little getting used to but its no different to what I get in a pub. The players however are supported but we do criticise them if they play poorly and rightly so. Chris Mason in particular got massive support from the members yesterday and the comments were very positive about the players in yesterdays tournament as they are when they play well. When they don't, some will criticise others will support and that's how it should be allowed to be.

As for Dave Whitcombe, some of his comments have been valid but others have been laughable and frankly embarrassing and I've said so. He's entitled to his opinion but I'm also entitled to mine. You come out with statements people are going to comment on it and not always agree with you and not always dress it up either.

I (along with many others on DF) have no issues with you beyond you seemingly tarring everyone with the same brush and feeling the need to appoint yourself judge on what constitutes acceptable on all forums. You run your forum the way you want to and as a member, I will adhere to your rules whilst I am on your site. Its all darts to me.

Hopefully this hasn't come across as an attack but I did feel the need to address some of the points you raised.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This then resulted in some more vile spiel from the owner and me getting a 5 year ban

How pathetic are some people??

2 comments:

  1. Good post Grazer.....to receive a ban for that post is a disgrace.......however the loss is theirs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gaz....of all the things I could be banned for, that has to be close to the most pathetic of reasons

    ReplyDelete